Monday, February 15, 2016

AMISH BREAD RECIPE

AMISH CINNAMON BREAD CAKE   This cake is so yummy that my husband said, "Don't make any more of these cakes."  He loves it too much  and so do I! It's hard to call something bread that this sweet, moist and oh so good bread.  I have had many requests for this recipe, so I am sharing it here.
I have used this recipe adding my own many different variations over the years.  I am sharing the way I made it this time.
AMISH CINNAMON BREAD CAKE RECIPE

On day 1 you will have either received the Amish Bread Recipe Starter from a friend or you will make your own starter.

Be sure to remove excess air from the freezer bag after mashing/mixing the starter each day to avoid the bag bursting open.

Day 1 - receive or make the starter (the recipe for the starter is below)
Day 2 - stir (or mash in ziplock bag)
Day 3 - stir 
Day 4 - stir
Day 5 - Add 1 cup each self rising flour, sugar and milk. Mash bag to mix.
Day 6 - stir
Day 7 - stir
Day 8 - stir
Day 9 - stir
Day 10 - Add 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Divide into 4 containers (I use 4 ziplock freezer bags), with 1 cup each for three of your friends and 1 cup for your own loaves. Give friends the instructions for Day 1 through Day 10 and the following recipe for baking the bread.

After dividing the Starter as stated for Day 10, 1 cup of Amish Bread starter with the following ingredients in a large bowl:
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large box (or 2 small boxes) Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
2 cups self rising flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix with a wooden or plastic spoon by hand until well blended (do not use metal).  You can add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts (optional).  I did not add raisins or nuts to the bread pictured, I only sprinkled a few nuts on top of the icing.
Grease two loaf pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour.  (It has been my experience if you use sprays such as Pam or Baker's Joy the Amish Bread will stick to the pans.)
Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (individual oven temperatures vary - my oven only takes 45 minutes). Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans. Makes two loaves of Amish Bread.
I absolutely love this bread just like it comes out of the oven without adding any of the optional items or icing.  It is a wonderfully sweet, sugary, cinnamon bread without adding anything.  Although, I added icing this time which gives it an entirely different taste.
Click here for the icing recipe: AMISH BREAD ICING

AMISH BREAD STARTER

Ingredients

  • 1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • ¼ cup warm water (110° F/45° C)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup milk

Directions
  1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes.
  2. In a glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly with a whisk or fork.
  3. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture.
  4. Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. For the next 10 days handle starter according to the instructions for the Amish Bread Recipe.

If you make the Amish Bread ( also known as Amish Friendship Bread ) be sure to leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it.

*I am flattered when people want to share, but PLEASE BE NICE! IF YOU SHARE MY PHOTOS, RECIPES or anything from my blog on the internet PLEASE INCLUDE A LINK TO THE POST ON MY BLOG. When sharing INCLUDE THE LINK to the actual post (NOT just a link to my blog) so that people can find the original post. Thank you so much!

BE SURE TO "LIKE" ME ON FACEBOOK!Click here to go to my page and be sure to click "LIKE" on that page: 
Fabulously Creative Scrapbooking and Stamping

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel at 
FabulouslyCreative

No comments: